Google Search

Friday, October 17, 2008

What the LSE degree will say debate

This is my reply on Yansa, on this TOPIC

My older brother always told me, the paper may get you to the interview but it's not going to guarantee that you get the job. Through my own experience, I always find it that a lot of people really don't know how to interview. This is why back in the days in the US, I always got the job over people that were more qualified than me "ON PAPER" because of my superior interview skills and interpersonal skills. Nowhere have I read in this forum about the importance of interpersonal skills and learning about basic things about other cultures, such as basic greetings in multiple languages, knowing about the foods, clothes, pop culture etc. I also don't see the emphasis on being a well rounded and balanced person, such as playing instruments, learning multiple languages, volunteering and giving back to society. If you do these things you'll be changed as a person and it will show in the way you speak and in your mannerisms and how you treat other people. This is why respect is just a concept to many people, they just don't have a grasp of the reality of what respect really means. It means doing all the things I mentioned in the prior paragraph and more, then you will gain an understanding and appreciation for "WHAT IT TAKES" to be good at something and your words will carry weight in the interview and with people you meet. Whatever the degree states is secondary to fulfilling yourself as a person, then you will earn the respect of the interviewer and get the job over the person who is supposedly better than you "ON PAPER".

No comments:

Post a Comment